I had to install Windows Identity Foundation SDK in a Windows 2012 R2 server for setting up Claims-based authentication. So I downloaded the SDK and started the installation. Immediately I was shown this error popup.
The cause of the error is apparent – Windows Identity Foundation (WIF, going forward) is not installed in my server.
To install WIF runtime, follow the below steps if you’re using Windows Server 2012
- Open server manager. Click on Add Roles & features.
- Click Next and navigate till the Features section. If you want to know how to navigate through “Add Roles and Features” dialog box, refer to my post here. Make sure you come back to this post once you reach Features section.
- Scroll down and you will find “Windows Identity Foundation”. Select that and click next.
Note: In your case, it will be unchecked and not disabled and available for selection unlike the one shown here in the screen shot below.
- Click next and finish the installation.
This will install WIF Runtime in your server. After this is completed, run the SDK setup file again. This time, WIF SDK will get installed without any issues.
To install WIF Runtime on Windows 8, 8.1:
- In start menu, type “Turn Windows Features On and Off”. Open the dialog box.
- Scroll down and enable Windows Identity Foundation.
- Click OK.
This install WIF Runtime in Windows 8, 8.1.
Hope this helps!